Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Response Post: Cartoon Violence

     Elona's belief that violent cartoons could easily influence young children is the notion that many if not most people have about media violence. As the article by Brown suggested however, the studies that are being done on this phenomenon may not be showing the correct results, as certain factors are not taken into consideration. Therefore, we do not really know what affects violent media has on children.

     Having been born in a communist country and moving to Canada when I was four years old I grew up watching older cartoons that the generation before me enjoyed. I'm sure we all know that older Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons featuring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and the Road Runner (with his nemesis Wyle E. Cayote) were much more violent than most cartoons are now. I can't recall the last time I saw an anvil or box of TNTs used to catch one's foe in a children's show. In relative terms I believe I grew up fairly normal. I am against violence, not a fan of war and choose to be a vegetarian because of my respect of animals. (Which just proves I didn't take any of those cartoons of animals trying to kill other animals seriously). I strongly believe it is the role of the parent to instill the idea of right and wrong in children and teach them from an early age that what we see on television is not always real. In fact, very little of the time is there truth in entertainment. Cartoons are fantasy. I can understand that even if something is to be considered in a funny and light context blood and gore may not be the best way to get the message across yet those shows depict such an outlandish and nonsensical type of violence that it's almost an ironic commentary on how silly true violence can be.

     Furthermore, in regards to newer cartoons where superheroes are fighting one another, as Elona mention it does exhibit the case of the American monomyth as discuss in class. Yet this tale is one of bravery, justice and the restoration of peace. The hero comes into town in order to remove the evil which preys on the innocent. If there were nothing harming anyone there would be no need for violence. In my opinion violence in superhero shows is justified because the message coming across to children is to stand up and fight for what you believe in. Also, kids can't fly or shoot fire out of their eyes so I'm not too worried they'll be trying anything extreme. (Unless they're the kid from Superbad, then we may have something to worry about).

     I believe violence that is cartoonish in nature or that is justified such as the mighty and brave defending the good and innocent (in a non-gory comic book style way), is acceptable in children's cartoons as the kids watching them should be told the difference between what they are watching and real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment