Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Television can help cultivate a child's mind


     We were given a list of words which were used as metaphors for television in Detweiller and Taylor's article. Many of these words resonated with me as I spent much of my childhood watching television. Most people would think this would be detrimental to a child yet I believe that many of the shows shaped my personality into who I am today. (I am not a carbon copy of Sesame Street, and my idols are not Samurai Pizza Cats if that's what you're thinking). Instead, many of the shows I watched were funny, educational and age appropriate which are all very important factors. From watching shows like Lamb Chop's Play Along and Recess I got my sense of humor, learned right from wrong and attained an imagination that I wouldn't give up for the world.

     Of course my parents and school had a large impact on me as well but these shows gave me something that they couldn't. They were constant companions that I could turn on when the former were not available. Also, I don't think my parents or teachers would have been able to make up daily stories of the adventures to be had by a boy football shaped head in the middle of New York City or what evil forces a beautiful warrior princess had to save the world from. I mean, that would have been tiring!

     The stories I watched and absorbed helped me create my own. My imagination grew and became rich. I could make up stories instantly when we had creative writing assignments and playing with my Barbies turned into three-act plays.

     The negative connotations people attribute to television and children such as it being a replacement baby-sitter, taking away from the responsibility of parents and acting as a sedative are false. If the children are watching the right programs that teach them things it helps their minds flourish which later in life will allow them to create beautiful things. Parents allowing their children to watch the right kids' shows is a healthy and important aspect which will help a child's mind develop to a creative and intelligent adult mind.

4 comments:

  1. -Jackie

    I myself also believe that my favorite childhood television shows have helped create the type of person I am today. Being the youngest in my family and always surrounded by much older peers, many of my childhood shows were more for a mature audience. One of my favorite childhood shows was MTV’s Daria. Even though I did not understand what was really going on at the time these shows that were way to old for my age helped me become the unique and clever person I am today. Watching these shows as a child made me seem like a God on the school playground because I knew so much stuff that your average child did not. These shows also made me a very unique and clever individual because I adopted the same type of comedy styles that were used on MTV’s Daria.

    I’m glad my parents allowed me to watch television shows that were not for my age group because these shows in a way made me mature and grow up much faster then the other kids at school. These teenage shows I was exposed to also taught me at a very young age about life in general and I feel that children in today’s society are to sheltered from reality and are unable to make their own decisions.

    I also have to agree with you about television pretty much being the best babysitter out their because this simple box uses visuals to help viewers see and understand the important message that the particular show is trying to send out. Even though some shows may not be appropriate for younger audiences I feel that this should not stop children because children in my opinion need to be exposed to the real world at an earlier age so that they can make better life related choices in the future.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although part of me agrees with the above statements you made, I don’t completely agree with you. I do believe television can play an important role in developing imagination and learning – both which are desperately needed in our society today. Television has indeed played an enormous role in learning many facts, issues, ideals, and occurrences that we encounter every day in our lives. Furthermore, we are constantly increasing our thoughts and widening our knowledge through many of the different television shows on TV. However, there are programs which might not necessarily help children’s minds to flourish or create beautiful things, and quite often I see the television turned on to any random show to distract and calm down children.

    My extent of television shows is quite limited, as I did not grow up watching much television, but I work with children, and I see and hear many things that television has portrayed to them. I definitely don’t think all television shows are bad, nevertheless if children are watching shows that are not beneficial programs, what they learn and how they imagine is going to be reflected. I see this strongly, especially in my cousins. As much as I love my two younger cousins – ages 5 and 9 – they often can be tough and wild to handle. I have seen many times when either their parents or mine want quiet and peace, and resort to turning on the television. This immediately catches my cousins’ attentions and they are captivated to whatever show is playing. Unfortunately, often none of the adults pay much attention to what show is actually being played, or what exactly the show is about.

    Like you mentioned, many of the shows you have watched have shaped your current personality. When non-idealistic shows are played, one’s personality is definitely affected by it and will be shaped accordingly. That leaves us with determining what shows are beneficial, and which ones are not. As well as the need to examine whose responsibility it is for what television shows a child views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jackie!

    I posted a response to your post on my blog.

    http://jesuschristsuperblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/response-to-jackies-post-on-television.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!

    I've responded to this blog:

    http://terrencethoughts.blogspot.com/2011/04/response-to-jackies-television-can-help.html

    Tt.

    ReplyDelete